From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2009 16:34:51 -0500
Welcome aboard Chris

One suggestion, and I learned this one the hard way... when you pose a
question on a Friday, you'll get a lot less "traction" than when you pose it
on a Monday or Tuesday.

Okay, onto your question  (and I know what Julie is thinking I'm gonna say!!)

Think about the fact that people MAY be confused what side of the paper is
the document (because it isn't ALWAYS a record, but it might become one)
that they printed when it goes into the file, a binder, or other repository.

Also, what was on the other side was discarded for a reason.  It may have
met it retention, it may no longer serve as a valuable reference, it may
have been an earlier version or draft of something that was revised and
reissued later.

By reusing that paper, essentially that "other document" still exists, and
IF it met its retention, but is in the file on the back of something else...
then it once again becomes discoverable. It can also result in the
application of your retention schedule and disposition policy coming into
question, simply because you obviously didn't discard of something if it's
still there.

Another thought is much of this reusable paper is likely to have bent
corners, curves or curls, be 3hp, etc and may cause feeding problems and
jams for your MFDs, so that, along with the labor related to collecting and
redistributing it, may result in a break even at best on reusing it in this
manner.

Great idea in theory, I'd think you'd need to track it's viability in
practice on a test basis to determine if you want to socialize it as a
practice and formalize it as a policy.

Larry