From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:39:33 -0600
Larry,

I just could not help from responding to your note regarding electronic
health care records.... with my "There You Go Again" comment!  Imagine
insisting on applying logical thought to the arena of health car records
BEFORE we blindly jump in and "buy off" on the benefits that we're being
sold!

I recently received an email from a State Agency decrying the state of
its own records management program, noting that it was not properly
funded, not properly staffed, etc.  My personal reaction was that of
someone from the private sector ... a bit of a "so what, government
agencies require those of us elsewhere to manage electronic records or
pay the penalty in court....why should you be exempt?"

More seriously...... what I see over and over and over again is that
"we" (yes, a very generic "we" at that) adopt technologies without
thinking through what it requires of us to manage them effectively.
That appears to be something that has occurred over and over again
throughout my tenure in the RIM field (33 years)..... and sadly, I see
no sign that it will likely stop anytime soon.

Perhaps those of us in the RIM profession can use such examples to help
our own organizations mitigate the risks associated with the adoption of
new technology tools..... and to plan more thoroughly for their use over
time.

Larry, you made great points in your note!!!!

Douglas P. Allen, CRM, CDIA+