From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:35:22 -0500
There will logically be two copies of each legal hold notice: one
retained by the sender and one by the recipient. The sender will need to
document that s/he sent them out. If there is not resultant case, s/she
will need to send out notices to that effect, and retain those to
document that they were sent out. The recipients would need to keep the
notices to document that they cannot destroy the applicable records; and
then the "cancel" notices to document that they now can destroy the
affected records.

Assuming no case results:

If I'm the sender, I'm going to set a reasonable retention period based
on my experience of how long it takes for all return to normalcy issues
to close out, and I no longer have to prove that I sent the notices out,
especially the ones that say the hold is cancelled.

If I'm the recipient, I'd probably make the notices, especially the
cancel notice, part of my destruction documentation for the affected
records -- making them part of the destruction file and retaining for
the same period as that file.

Make sense?

Gary Link, CRM
Sixburgh, PA