From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:35:45 -0800
1) "Sharing" in
No offense to anyone was intended, but several points:

1) "Sharing" in this day and age generally implies, "Give me an electronic copy that I can use for as long as I want." In this instance, that means copyright violation and that is a problem. Those of you who know my participation on this List over the past 15 years know that I have long been an advocate of the "show your work" school of sharing information. http://cunninghamabovetherim.blogspot.com/2008/01/show-your-work.html Asking for a free copy of something that has been copyrighted falls into the same space. Borrowing / loaning and properly respecting copyright and intellectual property rights is something entirely different.
2) When someone posts on the list using only their first name and a personal email address that is not clearly indicative of who they are, I take that with a grain of salt. I always sign my full name. I don't sign my employer's name, but most folks can look me up very easily. I'm not exactly invisible.
3) The Ben Franklin quote accompanies all of my emails from my personal account. It is in the signature.
4) Tone is generally hard to read in an email. When I said "I suggest", I meant it as a potential solution. My reference to libraries was intended to be a little humor because I think many of us forget that they are out there and have all sorts of treasures available for free.
5) I'm not going to pretend to understand copyright and fair use. However, I do understand that when a person or an organization expects payment in exchange for their intellectual property, that does not generally imply that the purchaser can pay for a product and spread it all over the Internet. Even ARMA chapters have seen the copyright / fair use issue arise when they have purchased videos and made them available to members through the Chapter library.

 Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."