From:
Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:54:29 -0600
I've just finished a 3 day event to document the implications of and
processes needed (including RM) to comply with the European Unions(EU)
REACH legislation and am looking for companies that are working to comply
like Rockwell Collins

A bit of background : REACH stands for
        Registration ? Manufacturers / Importers to Register Substances
and Their Specific Uses
?       Substances (Raw Materials & Chemicals)
?       Preparations (Mixture of Substances)
        Evaluation ? Substances Evaluated for ESH Effects
?       European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) Coordinates and Evaluates Testing
Proposals
        Authorization ? All Substances and Their Uses Shall be Approved by
ECHA
?       Separate Authorizations Required for Substances of Very High C
oncern (SVHC) Used in Articles
        CHemicals ? Substances, Preparations, and Article
and involved the documenting of 15 (currently) chemicals throughout the
entire supply chain for  companies  importing (directly/indirectly) their
products into the EU.  This is a huge effort for companies like Rockwell
Collins and involves thousands of suppliers and hundreds of thousands of
part numbers in our products

I'd like to have anybody that is currently involved in working to comply
with these requirements to see what processes you have in place, are
thinking about and see what artifacts you believe are involved from an RM
perspective.  Please contact me directly with responses and I will then
roll them up and report the findings to the list.

Thanks in advance

Steve Petersen CRM
Records Manager
Rockwell Collins Inc