From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:52:42 -0600
What great responses to the question raised by Dustin McLemore.  Records
Management is all... a profession to those of us engaged in it, a
process in which organizations are engaged (the smart ones, anyway), and
a program.  Classifying Records Management as a "project" would tend to
suggest that it can run on "autopilot" after acquiring the right tool,
and putting it in place.

I would hazard a guess or assumption that those with whom you have
spoken who think of it as a "project" tend to be those in IT....or in
business disciplines that don't see what we witness on an ongoing basis
- that Records Management requirements for our organizations are subject
to change, and that the technologies upon which we may choose to rely
change over time as well.

The process is one that requires expertise and knowledge that is most
often found within members of the profession..... and the process will
likely involve - as you correctly pointed out - a host of projects that
may include the establishment of a retention schedule (one that accounts
for paper-based, electronic records, and records found in other media),
the implementation of tool sets including ECM and BPM suites, etc., etc.

I applaud your efforts to engage in this discussion...because in this
case, the semantic differences on the classification of Records
Management has real meaning and impact for the utility.

Douglas P. Allen, CRM, CDIA+