From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:57:00 -0500
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 5:19 PM, McLemore, Dustin <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I know this seems like semantics, but it is a very important discussion
> to the longevity of records management within the organization.  I would
> be very interested to hear your thoughts on the issue.

When explaining records management to the uninitiated I generally use an
analogy. The one I like to use best is that records management is like
accounting. So accounting manages the financials while RM manages the
information. Both use classification, both require individuals within the
organization to properly code things so that they can be found later on.

Ask your cohorts "is accounting a process, program or project?" and yes
accounting is a profession that has a certification program.

And when we think of program don't forget that there are computer programs
out there.

There is no one correct answer to your colleagues answer. What they are
trying to do is place RM in a box that they can then get their heads around.
Ask them when they plan to end the accounting process/program/project. I bet
they'll say "well we can't do that." to which your answer is "and the same
goes for records management"

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va