From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:08:43 -0500
Yes......it's amazing how so many of us struggle with the same things.  We
all know that at some point in our professional careers we are going to
have to learn how to manage e-mails as a record.  So... if that's the
case, be proactive in your approach.  I'll give you an example.  Or IT
guys were slow off the mark with managing e-mails in our organization.  In
consultation with them, I developed an e-mail policy that contained a
strong records presence to it, yet dealt with the problems that IT was
encountering.  I didn't wait for the invitation as I knew that it probably
wouldn't come.

After writing the policy, it was presented to the IT group for revisions
and then onto to senior management where it was approved.  Now our e-mails
which were records are stored in our EDRMS.  For non-records, users have
the option of storing them in folders with set capacity limits.  If they
choose to leave them in their in-box, the system will prompt them to store
it or loose it.  They have two weeks to choose.  If they choose to leave
it in their in-box, it is automatically disposed of after two weeks.  We
have set storage limits for each user...senior management getting larger
limits (much to my chagrin) but it does seem to be working for our
organization.  Our e-mail servers are much more productive these days as
much of the garbage has been disposed of  or records properly managed.

So a lesson to be learned here.  Take the bull by the horns, be actively
involved and insist on records having a say in these kind of things.  Work
on including "information" into your work title.  When this happens it
means your job is to manage "all" kinds of data within your organization.
Again, be proactive....it will make your RIM career and life more
fulfilled.

.
John Annunziello, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"