From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:39:44 -0500
>Part of the problem no doubt is the US Bureau of Labor Statistics
classifies records management as a subfield of Administrative Services
Management. The Bureau estimates that in 2006 there were 247,00- jobs in
this field.  See  http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos002.htm  for more information.
 I would guess that the entire US records management filed would be less
than 10% or this number (excluding clerical/support positions).  But in all
truthfulness I have never seen hard data on how many records managers there
are in the US.

David (sort of) hits the nail on the head here.

One of the key problems lies in the lack of a Standard Occupational
Classification (SOC) for Records and Information Managers,with cascading
levels of functionality, and this has to be established by petitioning NAICS
(North American Industry Classification System)to establish one.   The
petitioning process requires an initial request from a Professional
Association, able to clearly elucidate the basis for the request. (I think
we know who THAT would be)

I spent some time about 6-7 years ago assisting the then 'Director of
Professional Resources' of such an Association in coming up with the
information required, and as a part of that, a more important off-shoot for
the assets we manage.

The desire was for the establishment of a Standard Industry Classification
(SIC) for "Business Records", which would have allowed a presentation to be
made to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to clearly identify
the differences between other paper based commodities and records in
storage.  The intent of this effort was to strengthen the position of
NFPA232 by having guidance that it was designed to protect the assets
meeting that SIC definition while in storage.

Part of the problem is it's a 2 year approval cycle to get either an SOC or
SIC approved, and they are approved on opposite years.  AND... to achieve
this requires a champion that is willing to stay with it and respond to the
follow-up questions after submitting the application package, and YOU NEED
TO IDENTIFY A SPECIFIC PERSON to work with consistently within NAICS to make
this happen.

We had all of the elements in place in 2001/2 and a lot of ground work had
been done, but there was a lack of support from within the Association to
champion this effort... and the Director left, and I was forced to abandon
my efforts because it was taking too much of my time.

So... maybe it's time to rally the troops again and raise the flag???  This
is THE ONLY WAY to get the position/s and industry formally recognized by
the body that determines if you are a distinct profession with a need for an
independent classification.

Larry