From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:49:06 -0800
Hugh Smith wrote:
> With all the changes to processing, could all these different virtual
> elements create problems with enforcing any level of retention
> scheduling.
>
> For example, virtual computing spread computing around to various
> servers without a real defined directory.  This file on that server at
> this time and so on. Now Cloud computing put this even more remote.
> So you go along removing and destroying documents at the end of their
> life cycle.  But somewhere Servers were pulled of line due to
> maintenance issues and sits there idle.  It misses it de-duplication
> cycle and then a subpoena comes along and various servers are sitting
> out there, off line and holding documents that are past retention
> schedule but were never destructed.
>
> Computer systems are not designed to deal with retention schedules and
> they create and store documents in many locations that are not thought
> of when management cycles are reviewed.
>
> Un less someone creates a new form of records management software that
> can search out all these items.  But if a server if offline for repair
> when this happens, it just is missed.
>
> Am I wrong?
I'd ass/u/me that when/as the cloud fragments come online there's a sync
process.
When you say there's not a "real defined directory", it seems like a
reasonable statement.
Yet, there must be some unambiguous way to identify each file or body of
data. That means is analogous to a directory structure.

The 'stuff' that gets managed within one or more databases would be the
hardest to deal with.
The expired data would have to be found and deleted/written over.
Depending on the DB system, the DB itself probably needs to be purged or
compacted to really get rid of the old stuff.
Though, stuff that's marked 'deleted' would be like stuf on your hard
drive that's marked 'deleted'.
Even after you empty the recycle bin (Windoze, anyway) the info is still
on the drive waiting to be found.
Is that considered discoverable? (in criminal cases, of course it is
usable. I mean, must you search for and produce such data in the normal
course of electronic discovery?)

Back to the 'offline server' question: If the process only searches
online devices for data, then you'd miss offline servers and storage
systems, backup tapes, archive tapes, and the rest.

In the process of records management, don't you need to track 'where'
stuff is kept?
Regards
Jay

--