From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:50:47 -0700
Hi Julie,
That's one example, sure. I gave another example of reusing Word or Excel
templates which might have sensitive information in the metadata. When I
worked at the City of Denver, if a ticket was received past the pay date, we
kept the envelope with postmark as proof of the lateness (though that's not
quite the same thing - and yet that was our metadata as well!). I just think
that we could think of lots of reasons to do it - and lots of reasons not to
- and each would depend on the circumstances.

I'll leave y'all with this: I had a conversation about 9 years ago with
someone who was also a member of a professional association of police and
law enforcement personnel. I described ARMA and records management to him
briefly - the idea that information has a lifecycle and that it should be
kept as long as needed and then disposed of as part of the normal course of
business. He asked me why I would belong to an association that favors
wanton destruction of evidence like that - and suggested that my continued
membership in such an association might violate a number of codes of ethics
to which I was at the time subscribed.

:)

jesse