From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:59:30 -0800
Without really getting into the generational stuff, I personally agree
with Gerard that we are seeing a new generation entering the picture,
with new expectations, that will result in an evolution in our thinking
on these subjects. Right now, we see many conflicts between legal
definitions of evidence, fundamental records keeping principles,
stakeholder needs, technological capabilities, and the (in)ability to
maintain control on those capabilities to satisfy these needs in a
manner that is cost effective.

I personally am excited by these changes for a number of reasons. One is
the fact that this new generation is encountering these issues at the
highest levels. Another is a shift in American society from one of
individualism/competition into one of civic culture and community.
Without getting political at all, or making any kind of judgment, just
note that these shifts are common in US history from its founding, and
each emphasis has its own strengths/weaknesses - a product of the
"self-correcting" nature of American democracy.

In my opinion, many of the strains we have seen in this area come from
that competitive/individualist emphasis, in which stakeholder needs are
seen as "competing". I think we may now see opportunities that emphasize
more the commonality of stakeholder needs across these different strains
as part of a larger "civic culture". This is something that really needs
to be led at the top, where the impact already is being felt of existing
models. My sense is that if we grasp these opportunities, associated
costs for compliance will be reduced.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741