From:
Gerard Nicol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:37:42 -0500
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:35:07 -0800, Steve Morgan
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Of course, if you're at home. I believe I wrote, "Your employer's
>property." Think reasonably and rationally, come on.

I could be at home working on my employer's laptop using my employer's
phone. I could also be working out of a corporate apartment leased by my
employer, or even owned by them. This is the life I live.

Many people live and work in the same environment, think of our own troops
in Iraq and Afghanistan.

>The restroom comment was pretty over the top and sarcastic, don't you
>think? You're getting a bit carried away.

Perhaps for you, but I personally reviewed an NDA just this morning while
sitting on the toilet.

>But, doesn't the company have a right to protect their intellectual
>property? How could they do that otherwise? Society has changed so much
>that you can be so trusting anymore. Isn't that a sad state of affairs?
>Like it or not, that's what has happened.

Nobody is saying that companies don't have the rights to protect their IP.

At the beginning of the industrial revolution many would have argued for an
employer's right to lock the fire escapes to stop their staff from stealing,
so this is not a new problem.

Over time society changes its values for both the better and the worse.

>In regards to your example, couldn't your wife call you on your cell
>phone or leave a quick message there's an emergency and you need to call
>home?

What if my cell phone and my computer are one and the same, and both are
owned by my employer.

>Where did I say I was law making?

One of the accepted uses of the word "your" is:

"(used informally to indicate all members of a group, occupation, etc., or
things of a particular type): Take your factory worker, for instance. Your
power brakes don't need that much servicing."

>Not all cases are black & white and there are always exceptions. We
>can't address every minute point here. It was an "in general" king of
>statement.

You are correct, all cases are not black and white. By minute point, do you
mean any opinion other than yours?