From:
Randy Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:01:14 -0800
Hi Dwight and list members,

Lest it appear that I was pointing my finger at you or anyone else, let me
clarify that my previous comments were more of a musing on the general
approach to, and discussion of, metadata that I have been witnessing on this
and other listservs for quite a while.  Too often, I think that the concept
of metadata is discussed in very general (and vague) terms, usually as if
metadata are one distinct, homogeneous entity or record attribute that,
therefore, can and should be managed as one unified record attribute.  This
clearly is not the case, and is one of the key concerns that I was hoping to
convey in my previous message.

As for the distinction between authenticity and integrity, again, my
intention was not to point fingers.  And just to clarify the matter a bit
further, in deference to the way the two concepts are presented in ISO
14589-1 (thank you, Dwight, for highlighting that issue), I should add that
InterPARES does not follow the ISO distinction for these two concepts
because our research has proven that integrity is an integral component of
authenticity. Unfortunately, the ISO definition of authenticity only deals
with the identity of a record and does not include integrity, which ISO
considers a separate quality. However, integrity is not a separate quality
because a record that lacks integrity cannot be considered authentic. It is
important to recognize that the text of ISO reflects its origin: namely, it
is an adjustment of the Australian records management standard, and its
authors were all (or mostly all?) public records archivists. Consequently,
the standard, as currently written, does not (satisfactorily) take into
account the records requirements of other contexts and of records generated
in the private sector (arts, science, etc.) or, effectively, those of a
non-legal nature.

Anyway, I hope that this helps to contextualize my previous comments a bit.
Again, my apologies if it felt like I was pointing a finger at you or anyone
else.  That was never my intention.

Regards,
Randy

--