From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:00:51 -0700
I think this is by far one of the best, most comprehensive discussions of
any topic on the list in some time. I wish I had more time or energy to
devote to it. Instead, I have to throw another grenade and then get back on
my work and/or recuperation:
<snip>authenticity is absolute: either a record is authentic or it
is not.</snip>

Assertion: The overwhelming majority of electronic records today, presumed
to be authentic per the original point, will require migration at some point
to remain readable over time. We simply haven't solved the problems yet of
advances/changes in software used to create them.

Question: How can a migrated record demonstrate its authenticity given a)
the certainty that both the bitstream and some metadata will have changed
and b) the appearance and structure of the record may have changed as well
(think Wordstar --> Office 2007 or old .grf --> .tif)?

Discuss among yourselves. :)

jesse