From:
Christian Meinke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:35:54 -0800
To answer Jesse's question - the same way we did in the manual world,
through a well documented process with the appropriate controls in place
that can demonstrate a clear chain of custody.

But I think the issue of migration is where this whole question of metadata
really comes into play. In this instance we aren't really seeking to
"scrub" metadata, but choosing what metadata to preserve (part of which
might be what is necessary to demonstrate authenticity or integrity of the
information/document/record in question).

These issues don't just come up for large scale conversions into new
systems, it's there when I compose a document for the first time. if I
create a word document and want to include a photo, that jpg phot might
carry with it a whole host of meta data, including the time the photo was
taken, what camera was used - heck if I use my iphone it will even tell you
approximately where the photo was taken. But if my need is to just display
an image, I'm not going to make the effort to preserve all that metadata in
the new document I created. If I then make a PDF/A of this document -
because that's our archival standard, still more metadata is lost - some of
it might even be great to know in the future, but it just might not be
worth the effort to ensure it's all preserved.

Of course the example above is one of "work in progress" and may be outside
the scope of a narrowly focused Records Management program, but the more we
can answer the questions about what metadata is necessary for a record, the
better we can focus on those items and not worry so much about the "nice to
have" metadata that might be produced, accumulated, and discarded along the
way.

                           Christian Meinke, CRM
                        Southern California Edison
                          Information Governance