From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:34:30 -0500
These are very good points. The systems easily alter and morph what we think
are records into what the systems recognize, capture, or process. The " What
about when your email system converts my rich-text email to ASCII?" is a
very good example that occurs a gazillion times daily. What does one
consider to be the record - the originally sent object still residing on the
sender's disk drive or the actually received object that the receiver's
computer captured, INTERPRETED, and stored? Each has their own legitimate
record for their own legitimate record-keeping purposes.

Here is another one. When the email below says "Sent: Saturday, February 28,
2009 1:02 PM' it does not tell you from what time zone it was sent. Did my
email system (East Coast Time Zone) interpret for me that the sender is in
another time zone (probably Mountain Time Zone) and then altered the
time/date stamp so I can understand when the email was sent RELATIVE TO MY
TIME ZONE? Probably not. It is probably the time/date as expressed from
within the time zone of the sender. But the sender could be anywhere on the
planet!

The email's detailed metadata will probably reveal the time zone of the
sender. Which brings us back to the importance of - metadata!

I am over and out for the weekend.

John

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions