Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:32:11 -0600
Sent from MY iPhone

> According to them, after shredding, they sell the
> shred to paper mills where they can get the most money. Sometimes that
> is Mexico. Also, according to them, it is not unusual for other
> shredding companies to do the same (would any shredding companies like
> to comment on this?).

Sounds like a case of it's all about the Benjamins to me.  As a DOE
contractor, I know you can place stipulationd in your RFP disallowing
this practice if you don't want it to take place. It's then up to the
vendor to determine what portion of your work they want, and what
portion they dont want

I'd strongly suggest discussing this practice with your Program
Records Official to determine if it's acceptable based on what the
records contain.  If there is any PII, PHI, financial, or IPim willing
to bet they will suggest a new contract.

> As far as the 1/4" strip cut, I am at a Department of Energy facility.
> The regulations that I have to follow require the 1/4" strip cut for
> the
> types of documents that I have.

You bet they do!  And I can't find it right now, but I think this is
the guidance the SEC gives and also whats included in HIPAA