From:
"Richard G. King" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 08:49:15 -0700
Millican & Associates, Inc. wrote:
> We are working with a major university in the southeastern U.S., trying to
> get some traction to implement a Records Management Program.  The CFO said
> he needs to have some numbers about how much large universities have saved
> that have implemented a records program.  We've gone back to our university
> contacts but thus far have come up empty-handed on hard data (though
> everybody has been most gracious in *wishing* they could help).
>
> Anybody out there in academia who can lay their hands on historical or
> ongoing cost-benefit analyses performed (or even better, actual return on
> investment data) to justify implementation (or enhancement) of a university
> RM program - and who would be willing to share that data with our client?
>
> Peter B. Lundell
> Manager, Technical Support
> Millican & Associates, Inc. (www.millican-assoc.com)
> (954) 963-1771

> mailto:[log in to unmask]

Peter,
I'm director of records management & archives for the University of
Arizona in Tucson,  I've calculated the University's ROI based on
federal & state wage information pertaining to how much an entity pays
for file maintenance on campus in file cabinets v. centralized in the
records center.  On this metric alone the ROI is 14:1 and the wage
information has not been updated for some time and I don't know if it
includes employee related expenses.  When one figures in campus release
space (not now being used for on campus document storage) and the cost
avoidance of new on campus space to house non-active records the ROI
goes to 50:1.  None of this includes cost avoidance in litigation of
having a RM program in place.  If you want to do your own local
calculations let me know and we can work out the algorithm.   Dick King