From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:15:12 -0800
Mike, this is a standard practice with plant based confidential
recycling. The fibers will be sent to the paper mill where they will
undergo hydropulping. If the materials being shredded present the level
of risks that someone would want to go to the effort to reconstruct
them, I would suggest on-site shredding. My own sense is that the vast
majority of records would not present this level of risk. I just
observed a similar NAID certified process being performed by our local
vendor. We are talking about paper jumbled together, shredded, and baled
by the ton - otherwise its not worth shipping (in our case, about 70
tons per year). Its doubtful that someone is going to want to
reconstruct records out of this stuff to steal someone's identity, or
uncover someone's PHI. As PeterK pointed out, the effort would be
enormously expensive and time consuming. On the other hand, if the
records represent a dire national security secret, then they probably
shouldn't be destroyed in this manner, buy rather on-site, even
witnessed.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741