From:
"mckinney, susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:33:46 -0600
Thanks, John.  That's exactly how it works.  Welcome to my world!  I
know it sounds crazy and impossible to those of you who have never
worked in Higher Education, but it is very typical.  It is also
something that you can say should be fixed, but that falls into the
"when heck freezes over" realm, so it isn't even worth wasting breath
over.  Suffice it to say that even having a central personnel records,
student records, financial system and grants system is somewhat of a
miracle, and doesn't preclude departments from having their own shadow
systems.

So, how to ROI all of it?  That's really tough, because it really is all
about cost avoidance more than cost savings.  It's soft money more than
dollars that can be seen in many cases.  And it's all about compliance.
If you start with the compliance issues on having to keep records for
those reasons, then that usually gets attention.  HIPAA, GLB, PCDISS,
Research contracts, patents and licensing - that's where I find the most
help.  State and federal privacy laws, open records laws, FOIA for
research contracts - if you don't have it you don't have to go find it
when it is requested.  The newest issue out there is the IRS now
requiring us to keep research records so that we can prove how much
private and public use was made in buildings that are financed with tax
exempt bonds.  Subpoenas, International student and employee issues, and
of course, EPA requirements.  We do it all, and with all of it being
done, there are so many regulations that we have to follow regarding
keeping, securing, and using information that it can make your head
swim.  And did I mention cloud computing?  It's starting, with Google
mail coming to many of the Universities, along with various renegade
programs for collaboration in the classroom.  It's a great time for RIM
because there are so many reasons to have a program - so many things
that RIM knows and does and makes sure happens.  It's much more than
storage these days, it's about being able to prove when you need to that
the information exists that should, and when it doesn't exist, that
there's a retention schedule behind it.  It's about not having dumpsters
full of private data, having guidelines for staff on how to manage text
messages so you don't have to do a breach notification when the cell
phone goes missing, and making sure that shredding is done when
necessary.

I could go on - and on, and on...but I'll stop because it's too obvious
to all of us.  Storage is the easy part - and I've always outsourced
that in both of my University positions.  It's much more than that - and
a University RIM program, or any RIM program, should be started for
strategic reasons, not because it saves storage cost.  Start big - think
big - expect big.  Because that's what it is and should be.

Fondly,
Susan

Susan McKinney, CRM
Director, Records & Information Management
University of Minnesota
100 Church Street SE
502 Morrill Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55455