From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2009 12:59:08 -0500
Paul, as Doug Allen explained, "your mileage will vary". Bear also in
mind Doug's comments about ancillary costs of scanning, such as document
preparation ("doc prep"), quality control, indexing, etc.

Factors affecting file size include:

*       Size of the original document (letter, legal, D-size drawings,
etc.)--the larger the document, the larger the file size (all other
factors being equal).

*       Scanning resolution (your choice of scanning resolution should
be based on the content of the documents and your requirements for
reproduction)--the higher the resolution, the larger the file size
(again with all other factors being equal).

*       Bit depth (your choice of bit depth should also be based on the
content of the documents and your requirements for reproduction)--the
greater the bit depth, the larger the file size (again with all other
factors being equal).

*       File type (your choice of file type should also be based on the
content of the documents and your requirements for reproduction)--some
file types result in larger file sizes (again with all other factors
being equal). Be aware that some file types include a compression
algorithm (for example, JPEG) which, of course, will also affect file
size.

*       File compression, if any (your choice of whether to use file
compression and, if yes, which type, should also be based on the content
of the documents and your requirements for reproduction)--uncompressed
files are larger than compressed files and some compression algorithms
are more efficient than others (again with all other factors being
equal). Contrary to popular belief, file compression is NOT mandatory.

Doug's example (40 Kilobytes) is for a letter-size business document
scanned bitonally (everything is either black or white) at 200 dpi and
compressed, typically with the ITU Group 4 compression algorithm. You
should NOT assume that every document would fit these parameters.

There are quite a few public domain documents that provide basic
information and guidelines for scanning document images; I have several
and will email them to you if you are interested.

Image file size alone does not account for all storage space: you'll
need storage space for indexing and for the application/program for
retrieving your document images. A "rich index" can take up quite a bit
of space.

Don't forget the applicable National Standards, such as ANSI/AIIM MS44
"Recommended Practice for Quality Control of Image Scanners", the
associated targets, and Technical Report TR34 "sampling procedures for
inspection by attributes of images in electronic image management (EIM)
and micrographics systems". I assume, of course, that you care about the
quality of the images produced....

The AIIM Web site has a Solutions Provider Locator tool which, if a bit
clunky, does have a fair number of vendor listings. BUT it's not by any
means complete, so don't forget to run a Web search and also that good
old-fashioned search tool-the Yellow pages.

Good luck.

Fred

Frederic J. Grevin

Deputy Commissioner and Chief Information Officer

The City of New York,

Department of Records

Email: [log in to unmask]

Land phone: 212.788.8615