From:
John James O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 01:24:31 -0500
Peter, your quote from Forbes illustrates a problem.  It's a specious
comparison and is a very large part of why we have a financial mess today.
-----
What the author might say is:

IM revenues rose by 12% despite the economic situation, leaving IM able to
pull in profits that other companies envy. Implications of the customer
reaction to the firms decision to dramatically increase user fees despite
continuing profits in a time when their clients are suffering remain
untested as yet.
------

It's high time that we grasp that when profits fall 46%, 0r 70%, the company
is making--get this--a profit. In the case you cite, that's 82 million
dollars in profit.

I am singularly unimpressed.  This may cause rancor among some colleagues I
have known for years, but here goes.    What, exactly, is wrong with
sustainable profit?  Why on earth do people fall for the idea that
profitable companies should be entitled to cause harm to other firms and
companies, and in the context of certain contracted services that include
penalties for change, cause further harm to firms that must try to get out
of harm's way?  As an owner of two small businesses and a former leader of
government and region-wide procurements in medium to large scale
enterprises, I certainly take note of the message being sent. Do you really
think that sending such a message sent to current--or prospective--customers
is wise?

It's high time we moved to a more mutually beneficial economic model. As
companies, it is high time we took a step back and look at the message we
are sending customers...they are, after all, partners in our success.  If my
suppliers do not understand that, they will not be my suppliers for long.

Here's a challenge...law firms, take that message inside as well.  I imagine
that we all could benefit from looking at our contracts and policies to
examine how we might adjust for the benefit of all during this period. For
those who are not going under, surely it is the right thing to do.

Sincerely meant from a guy doing all he can to avoid laying off and reducing
hours of real people in service partner firms--without an 82 million dollar
profit.

John James O'Brien, CRM, MALT
IRM Strategies