From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:21:52 -0400
Steve Whitaker asked "Would not Nicolas Sarkozy have his own
documentation? I have documentation of my degrees, certification,
military service records, etc."

In principle yes, but not necessarily. In France, the centralised nature
of records-keeping leads everyone to rely upon the official custodian of
the records (in this case, the government, since essentially all
universities are government-operated) to deliver a copy, certified or
otherwise, upon request. The legislation and, hopefully, the
organisational structures, are set up this way.

For example, I have a degree from the University of Burgundy (formerly,
University of Dijon), but my proof is a rather mangy form with the
specific information (nature of degree, date granted, and signature of
whoever was the authority) written in by hand. I could probably get a
formal copy, but I would have to apply to the and Ministry of National
Education and/or National Archives, which bring us back to the question
of the preservation of the records.

Fred