From:
Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:23:35 -0500
While trying to decide what product to purchase and how to configure it,
I decided to model some business rules and start my "cultural
re-engineering" a bit earlier than usual.  I also use the Symantech
vault on a secured server.

On the server, I created department-specific views of record folder
series that were pertinent to the role of the department (we call these
workgroup folders) and then some that were user specific.  The users
were allowed to declare a record by saving it to the correct folder.  I
modeled them exactly in the manner that their physical boxes and folders
were classified to ease the learning curve.  The hardest part was
teaching my users the difference between a true record and "white noise"
(aka: normal everyday communication emails not defined in the retention
schedule as a business record).  They cannot create other folders at the
classification level, but they are allowed to implement any other folder
structure underneath that helps them stay organized.  I am in the
process of attaching rules to each of the folders for purging.  I use a
functional schedule, so the classification folders that are common to
many workgroups all have the same rules.

We gave our users "stair step" deadlines to address their email caches
and most of them did pretty well getting them cleaned up.  When the
deadline for each group arrived, we blew away the remaining email older
than 90 days that was not declared.  We also removed public folders.

I've audited and tweaked quite a bit, but it has helped my users begin
the journey to active email management and I've gotten extremely
valuable feedback that has led me to the tool that I want to ultimately
implement and I've already mapped my strategy.  Yes, it is not an
optimum solution, but it has been effective in terms of letting us move
forward at time when we were in a good spot to get rid of stuff.