From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:06:03 -0400
Pak said "I do find it interesting that your company is involved in compliance http://www.jjkeller.com/"

And they offer Recordkeeping Consulting services to their clients!  I don't mean that as a slight on you, Jeanne, but rather as a potential opportunity you can point out to your management - perhaps they should consider your internal practices as they would a client's problems and develop recommendations for your own company.

Would your consultants offer advice to your customers to delete email after 90 days with no regard to the content of the email or record status?  What if it is an email from a doctor regarding a workers comp claim?  Would they really recommend printing every email that is defined as a record?

The sheer volume of email these days is astounding, and only going to get worse (until it gets better, and replaced with IM or some other technology).  As Peter mentioned, I suspect the 90 day rule was arrived at for the purpose of relieving burdens on your email servers, and nothing else, and the RM implications were dealt with as an afterthought.

You mentioned you think your new VP of Sales, who is dismayed at all of the printing, won't support purchasing a document/records management system?  But he will consider an email archiving system?  What's the difference (to him)?  Is he not fond of the email printing because it's expensive, wasteful, time consuming?  You need to know what's driving him before you will know how to approach him.

Email Archiving Ain't Records Management (right, Jesse?!).  It sounds to me like what you are really, at the core, trying to accomplish is to retain email longer so it can be both used in service delivery as well as maintained as a record (to avoid all of that printing). You need a records management product, not an email archiving product.

I hate email almost as much as Steve W hates paper - unfortunately I'm stuck with it for a good while I imagine.

Jeanne, if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to contact me off list (and I'm certain there are many others on the list who would offer the same hand of support).

Regards,
Julie

Julie J. Colgan
Director of Records Management
Nexsen Pruet, LLC
Columbia, SC 29201
803-253-8270
www.nexsenpruet.com

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION: The information contained in this message may contain legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or duplication of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by telephone or email immediately and return the original message to us or destroy all printed and electronic copies. Nothing in this transmission is intended to be an electronic signature nor to constitute an agreement of any kind under applicable law unless otherwise expressly indicated. Intentional interception or dissemination of electronic mail not belonging to you may violate federal or state law.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: Any federal tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending any transaction or matter addressed in this communication.