From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:52:28 -0400
Re: "One cannot assume that records managers own information management
either as a concept or an activity"

That's true and why many individuals have said for years we need to keep the
concept of "Records Managers" and "Records Management" alive and well. This
type of confusion also occurred a few years back when ARMA had the
"Strategic Information Management" (SIM) train that everyone was supposed to
ride on - despite the fact that Strategic Information Management was already
a term used by IT and other "professions". CRM now means "Customer
Relationship Management" to most people. It is important to be able to
differentiate what we are concerned with professionaly from the other trendy
amorphous concepts that will be gone tomorrow. Otherwise, why not just call
this Records Management Listserv the
Information-Document-Compliance-Technologies-Data-Retention-Archives
Listserv? Or something else.

There is a lot of "information" out there (competing and confusing data,
practices, technologies, and professions). In contrast, the concept of
"retaining records" based on their intrinsic value (administrative,
operational, historical, regulatory, legal) is more closely related to the
actual concepts we usually associate with "records management"- policies,
procedures, file plans, retention schedules and controlled repositories
(paper or electronic).

I am not suggesting that we change the name of the Journal - oops, Magazine.
I am more concerned that we be prepared to distinguish between Information
(everything) and Records (valuable enough for retention). Otherwise someone
is going to ask why we not just call it the Institute of Information
Managers and award the certification of CIM.

(Woops - I bet those folks at that "Information Management Association" are
scrambling to come up with something right now!)

John

John T. Phillips
MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI
Electronic Records Management