From:
Maureen Cusack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:25:16 -0700
Thanks Dwight. And thanks to everyone for pointing out that this is an upper-management buy-in problem, not my problem.

I did already reach out to IT last year to solve this role ownership problem by launching a project to get the Application List updated once every quarter. IT was already improving the GUI so that IT owners could update info online for their apps. But they gave no thought to how to compel compliance so IT would actually do it. So I got a memo of support from in-house counsel, designed better GUI lay-out, designed monitoring and reporting functionality to elicit compliance from 'ITAMs'  (IT application managers)designed workflows since ITAMs will need to reach out to other business unit to fill in info about apps. The thought was to get IT Directors to kick off each quarterly update workflow by reviewing the current alleged ITAM names  and/or assigning orphaned apps to ITAMs. That will be another game of hot potato, no doubt, but it will be part of a workflow owned by the IT Dept that owns this project, not me. I merely made filling in all the blanks a law department requirement, citing FRCP requirements.

Unfortunately, the project got downgraded in importance due to competing IT projects. In the meantime, I have been trying to gather much of the same information myself, as part of Law Department data mapping so that I can implement proper retention periods one day, implement current and upcoming legal holds etc. And I was getting nowhere with some (not all) ITAMs. So I guess I just need to be patient? Clearly the company doesn't think it's a priority to know what/where their ESI is nor to know who in IT manages it, nor to know what is orphaned. This is the classic example of records managers not being able to do their job because of lack of buy-in from upper management. I told my boss that making me fight this battle with ITAMs is the kind of futile frustrating effort that would make me quit my job.

Maureen Cusack
San Francisco, CA