From:
Maureen Cusack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:40:38 -0700
Susan

I need more metrics for my own RM Program, especially for my e-records management efforts. So I'll share what I've got. My program is 2.5 years old, and there's a lot of paper to manage that is stored by Iron Mountain.

1. I do 'audits' of the Iron Mountain inventory and of the 300+ staff who have Iron Mountain accounts. I audit whether they are following the procedures I put in place 2 years ago. I audit about every 3 months. I check for Mystery Boxes (unindexed boxes of records sent to Iron Mountain). I (try to) trace who sent the Mystery Box (difficult at times due to Iron Mtn's crappy systems). Then I get them to index their boxes from memory or by me pulling the box and sending it to them . Escalation procedures exist for when users cannot be identified or don't cooperate. The metrics are number of Mystery Boxes sent, number of users who repeatedly break the rules, number of new users who break the rules, number of new users/old users who follow the rules.

2. Number of outreach presentations I do to business units. It could be my meeting that I set up to correct a problem, or a business unit invited me to speak. I note # of attendees, date, business unit involved, subject of talk.

3. Number of software applications that I have 'data mapped' -that is collected information about in order to meet basic FRCP meet-and-confer needs and provide an IT name for further declarations or depositions. The data I collect includes type of records run by the application, storage media and location, file format, IT and business unit names who own/manage the data, system documentation ('policies and procedures' ) that attest to system reliability and explain how the system works (not the same as procedures manuals used by business unit staff that tell them how to do their job).

4. Number of Legal Holds that I have assisted in-house counsel in  a) explaining the preservation requirements for applications to to IT, b) monitoring IT on-going preservation compliance, c) collecting responsive documents by defining scope of production to IT or to regular staff, and coordinating logistics to get the evidence to inside/outside attorneys

***#3 has been a struggle due to lack of cooperation from IT which was the subject of my prior emails to the list. I'm going grey but I haven't lost my marbles yet. Thanks, all.

Maureen Cusack
San Francisco, CA