From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:42:25 -0600
Both good articles (which is why I left them in my response) - but I think
the comments are even better. Lots of the Web 2.0 services are moving to a
"freemium" model where the consumer side is free but there are ways to
attach prices to more valuable services or parts.
Case in point, albeit a hoax - Twitter announced a four-tiered pricing model
where users could sign up for Sparrow, Dove, Owl, or Eagle levels with
longer character limits, auto-followers, and even "Rumors of a even higher
level of service the secret "Black" account, which has J. K. Rowling,
Stephen King and other famous authors write your tweets have not been
confirmed."

Lots of folks retweeted that before they realized it was a hoax - but there
has been discussion on Twitter about charging users for certain levels of
followers. At this point I'd pay a few bucks to keep my Twitter account. And
the online email services have been doing this for some time - pay to remove
ads, add storage, provide better spam filtering or archival services, etc.

> http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13326158
>
> http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13337910
>
> --
So with all due respect to the Economist, I don't think we're quite as close
to a Bubble 2.0 as it seems to think we are.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins
blog: http://informata.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins
Ask me about the revised AIIM ERM Certificate Program!