From:
"mckinney, susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:11:18 -0500
This is a very timely issue for me, because the University of Minnesota
is starting to move into providing Google Mail and Google Apps for
Education to our students and staff.  The issues around this are quite
interesting and I've had several meetings with our IT folks about the
ramifications and how to ensure the security, etc. of the information.

I'm currently working on a document that will set the guidelines for how
and when to use - and not use - these services.

As I've told others, it's not an issue of whether we are going to do
this - that's not up for discussion.  We are going to do it, so the
issue is how to make sure that the contracts are iron-clad, that all our
concerns are addressed, and who is responsible for what.  I think the
good news is that RIM is involved, and that as we work through these
issues, there will be more opportunities for collaboration.

I'd be interested to see how others are handling these "cloud computing"
issues in their organizations.

Susan

Susan McKinney, CRM
Director, Records & Information Management
University of Minnesota
100 Church Street SE
502 Morrill Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55455