From:
Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2009 23:50:27 -0500
I did break the rules on posting an individual offer of assistance.  I
sent the request for the teleconference to the listserv because I wanted
CA and the other vendors who constantly monitor this list for
information that involves their respective companies, clients, or
projects that I was offering to help and that the matter was being
referred to another group.  It was important for me to convey that
information to the persons concerned and the fastest way to get to
everyone quickly was to do it in the forum in which the controversy
occurred.  It worked.  Whether or not it annoyed you or Peter didn't
really concern me at that point (and it still doesn't).

I did weigh in on the fact that it might annoy some listserv users, but
I'm quite sure that, given the circumstances, a majority of the
listserve members would overlook the conferencing offer posting, except
you and Peter.  In fact, the amount of congratulatory mail following my
postings on this particular subject would "seem" to indicate that my
postings were far less offensive than yours.  I support your right to be
passionate about your stand on this issue even though it means crossing
some CA Records Managers users off of your potential future client list.
However, I am equally passionate about the fact that Steve deserved
better treatment.  He has been referred to more capable pairs of hands
than yours and I am sure that we will both sleep easy at night knowing
that each of us did the right thing.

Regarding the CA Records Management user group, Steve's client belongs
to a formal CA group sponsored by the vendor, however, just like ARMA,
there are many informal groups that gather to discuss certain
adaptations of the product.  Even CA is not aware of all of the
"officially unofficial" user groups.  We like to be independent of CA to
encourage open and honest communication about the product and how each
of us has configured it for our organizations.  Unlike ARMA, CA is not
particularly threatened by special industry user groups and does not
discourage their existence.  That is probably why their product has been
making impressive quantum leaps in terms of improvement, but it makes
configuration decisions more critical.  Steve probably thought he would
get more vendor-independent responses from the listserv instead of going
through a vendor sponsored group.  Bet he won't make THAT mistake again.