From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 13:45:53 -0500
Lots of considerations which you are likely aware of.  For permanent records, electronic media may face issues of obsolescence over time which likely would require migration.  Depending the original platform your electronic records were created on, migrating from one platform to another might require compromising some aspect of the record or metadata.  With software cycles the way they are (I learned on WordStar in the 1980s) it might have to be migrated every 10 - 20 years to assure it can still be examined so in addition to the audit of the original system, you may need to provide the procedures for migration each time as well.  It is true electronic records can be substituted for hardcopy in many cases with requirements to document/test and audit the processes.  You would also want to document test and audit backup processes if these permanent electronic records are to remain live online.  If they're offlined then you'd want to test the ability to bring them up on a periodic basis to assure the media they are stored on remains viable.

My colleague here in Fort Worth, Angie Fares may comment on this as well.  She has much more background then I with this.