From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 14:12:51 -0500
For shorter to mid-term retention records with high rates of reference, microfilming has really outlived its value because of the relatively slow retrieval rates (though this can be acceptable with some automating elements).  For records which are both vital and historical which don't have high retrieval rates, we still use our planetary cameras.  I'm blessed to have inherited both rotary and planetary cameras with a decent amount of useful life two on my staff who have done microfilm for decades.  Adapting to imaging for high retrieval records which originate in hardcopy hasn't been an issue.