From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 10:47:28 -0400
This is, unfortunately, more commmon than we expect. I once had a client
that had outsourced box storage to a vendor that had "temporarily misplaced"
a lot of boxes. The client referred to them as "phantom boxes" because they
were supposed to exist, but in reality, could never be seen. There were
"clues" and "evidence" to the boxes' existence in reports from the off-site
vendor, because the storage vendor insisted on continually billing the
customer for their storage. But the boxes themselves seemed to be a mirage.

Eventually, I believe the customer realized the value of the information was
low, and the risk of retention debacles (hold orders, etc.) was low. So they
just documented the situation and eventually directed the off-site storage
to destroy the boxes, there by eliminating their own records management
risks. That effectively meant that the off-site storage vendor now had to
figure out a way to destroy the phantoms, or be haunted by them.

John

John T. Phillips
MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI
Electronic Records Management