From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 11:32:31 -0400
We also went through this experience and used it as an opportunity to help
locate files that had been missing for years.  Our files were stored in
numeric order and in many cases,with a re-file,the vendor was putting the
record at the front of the box rather than where it was pulled from.  Of
course, if we ever needed that record again, the vendor would look in the
numeric location and not find the record.  As time went on,  it became
quite common for the vendor to have difficulty in locating these records.
They would never look at the front of the box.   As it was the same cost
to pull a box as it was a record, we started pulling boxes to locate our
missing record.

When we finally switched vendors, we were surprised to find that in almost
every box, there were misplaced files  So we went through each and every
box.....took 5 of us doing this 3 full days.  However,  our retrieval
success rate is much greater than before..

Now, our new vendor is much more willing to work with us and help locate
records as they are requested.

John Annunziello, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"