From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:41:55 -0500
Bill,

I tend to agree that many mission and vision statements these days tend
to be too vague to be of value.  That's often the result of the
organization to follow-through to drive the organization's strategy
based on those statements.  In order to be effective, all strategic
plans must drive budgeting, programs, and activities.  If they're not,
then the high level strategic planning statements are simply a waste of
time.

If anyone is interested on the Listserv in looking at how an
organization can translate such mission and vision statements to real
plans..... well, fortunately ARMA does a great job (my opinion).
Vision, Mission, Goals and Values Statements lead to the surfacing of a
radar screen (issues, challenges and opportunities) that then drive our
plans, our budget and our activities.  As a Board, we're now looking at
how we measure our success so that we can "close the loop" and go beyond
measuring activity to the point where we can measure how that activity
does or does not help us achieve our goals.

Douglas P. Allen, CRM, CDIA+
email:    [log in to unmask]