From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:56:37 -0700
The typical gross weight limit for semi-truc

Couple of points...

The typical gross weight limit for semi-trucks in the United States is 80,000 pounds. A completely full semi-trailer of records boxes, when you consider the tare weight of the tractor and trailer, probably gets close to that or exceeds it. As I noted, you also have to be concerned about the gross weight per axle, so a conversation with the hauling company is in order. I would agree that it is possible for a truck to be overweight either on gross or axle weight.

In terms of packing pallets, I would respectfully disagree with Dwight. Back in the long ago days of running an in-house records center, our first priority was to identify what boxes were on hand and what pallet they were on when we received large volumes of records in a given day (inevitably, someone would clean house, ship us several pallets of boxes and decide that they wanted two of those boxes back the next day). Once we had the boxes scanned to a pallet, we could always find that box. We usually did not have the manpower to immediately put away a truckload of boxes -- and there were times where space constraints required that we store boxes on pallets for a period of time. Most commercial records centers require that you deliver palletized boxes with the labels out for the same reasons. This enables the records center to keep track of the boxes received as soon as they are picked up, and then when they arrive at the warehouse. While packing a skid
 with nine or ten boxes per layer may give you a greater density per skid, the labor cost and potential to "lose" a box while being processed can be high. Clearly, if you plan to immediately shelve the inbound boxes, you can pack them densely. But if you pack them label side out, you have much greater flexibility. It also allows you to scan the boxes at multiple points in the process, without breaking the pallet down. Back in the day, we would pull thousands of boxes for destruction and stage them for the shredder. Up until the box hit the shredder, we still had the records and needed to know where to look if a request came in.

 Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell