From:
Susan Fitch Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:25:05 -0400
Hi,
I'm on the ERMS team at GAO.  Carol Brock, Records Officer, and Cheryl Smith, my boss, gave the talk and spoke at an ARMA meeting in Nebraska this week on the same subject.  There are 3 GAO disposition buckets, and the buckets are based on the 3 main functions of the organization.  The few exceptions to the Rule of Three are much smaller and are managed as minor exceptions within the big buckets.

From what I've seen a big bucket schedule facilitates electronic records management.  Its easier to manage and easier to explain and train.  You drop your records in the right bucket and then make sure its identified with a team, a project (or fiscal year for admin records) and an author.  A good title is also necessary, along with doc type and system identifier.  I can tell you that it works fairly well more often than not, and that its being used more often than not.  That's saying a lot for any information system in the first few years of use.

Susan Fitch Brown
DM/ERMS Team
GAO Information Services

>>> Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]> 4/15/2009 2:33 PM >>>
I believe they also gave a session at the conference in Vegas - check the
session list on the ARMA website

Steve Petersen CRM
Records Manager
Rockwell Collins Inc