From:
"Mattson, Donald J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:22:37 -0500
Hello Rosanne,
Maybe I am old school on this but I have to ask, why would the service provider require transfer of ownership from you? To put a fine point on this "be afraid be very afraid". Simply put, tell them no can do, those records belong to your organization and the destruction of that information is your responsibility. When they come to provide the services of shred and pulping they are accountable for the proper handling and destruction of materials. If you transfer the rights of ownership, you are not protected against their mishandling of the materials. I hope you are getting a letter of destruction from them as well.
I would instead create a list of requirements, create a RFP and send it out to all local vendors. You can also include a requirement that the shredding is to take place onsite. Once shred, if they want ownership for purpose of recycle sales, then that would be different. The potential level of liability to you personally and to your organization is staggering. You are not transferring ownership you are conducting a destruction.

Donald J Mattson
Electronic Records Manager
CenterPoint Energy, Inc.
1111 Louisiana Street