From:
Steve Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 07:42:49 -0700
Sorry for the long post:

I have tons of experience in this and it's one of my specialties. It
depends on a few things. Here in California, to a certain extent, it's
left up to the cities. Also, it depends if they drawing are for
commercial buildings or residential. Cities are NOT required to keep
residential building plans for any specific time. Some cities do for 3
or so years, some keep them indefinitely as a service to the citizens
and some don't at all. There is also a process to get copies of the
drawing that can take up to 30 days to get copies of the drawing even if
you are the owner. Commercial building plans are required to be kept for
the life of the building and you still have to go through the "red tape"
get copies of the drawings.

The process: If you ARE NOT the owner, you have to get written
permission from the owner to get the copies. Again, if you ARE the
owner, you still have to go through this. The person requesting the
drawings has to fill out an "Affidavit of Intent" and have it notarized.
You can take the form to get it notarized or, someone in the City office
will notarize it for you. You pay for it, of course. Then a copy of the
affidavit and a letter requesting to duplicate the drawings is sent to
every profession that is listed on the drawings (engineer, architect,
plumbing contractor, etc.). This letter is sent certified and you have
to pay those charges, up front. The professionals are given up to 30
days to respond to the letter.  The professionals usually don't
response. Some will try to say not but, after 30 days or if the
professionals say no, a building official will sign off on the request
and you'll be able to get your copies. YOU pay for the copies at City
Hall (usually 11x17) or they will outsource them to get full sized
copies which you will pay the service company for, yourself.

There's a little more to it but, that's the process in a nutshell.

NOTES:
1.	The affidavit of intent basically states that you are not going
to use the plans to 	go build a house.
2.	There is normally not a scale on the drawing to state what sixe
the original 	drawing was so, when the service company blows them up,
it probably won't be 	accurate.

Steven D. Morgan
Records Manager, C.J. Segerstrom & Sons
714.438.3228 Phone
714.546.9835 Fax
Information is the currency of democracy. (Thomas Jefferson)