From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:04:55 -0400
Never came across snakes.

The worst I experienced was a storage facility in the old Brooklyn Navy
Yard. The fact that panes of glass were missing from the windows made it a
home to seagulls, pigeons, the usual array of rodents, bugs, mold, mildew,
dirt/filth, and everything else (except snakes) that one finds in a place
where there's no environmental controls other than a roof. The birds liked
to use the box tops, especially those near windows, for nests and waste
output. The building also had no heat in the winter or fan/AC in the
summer, and the unsecured loading dock was (and probably still is)
virtually open to the public. Since delivery of records was done via
taxi-cabs, and the firm I was working for was cheap, we had to go there to
get records and return them -- a major no no for security. Did I say we
could just about walk in head upstairs for our records and not encounter
an employee which we did. We kept a box with a miniature wood baseball bat
and a policeman's flashlight (the long metal kind) to guard against river
rats. Going here to get records out of this hell hole felt like a scene
straight out of Cluozot's nerve-wracking "Wages of Fear" (remade by
Friedkin as "Sorcerer" in 1977). As bad as it was/is, the firm I had
worked for dragged it feet for almost 2 years on getting their records out
of there.

Stephen Cohen, Records Manager
MetLife \ Legal Affairs
1095 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY  10036-6796
212-578-2373

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.