From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:36:20 -0400
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> You're right Dwight I didn't cite the balance of the comment re: the CCHIT-
> but in part that was intentional.
>
> I was a bit perplexed when he mentioned end-users being involved in the
> decisions, when I think of end-users of medical information, I think of
> consumers... possibly Leavitt meant the medical profession.  But even so,
> based on discussions with medical professionals, they don't seem to know or
> care what formats the information is captured/gathered in, they just want
> be able to see it NOW... and they aren't thinking that it will be a problem
> seeing it later, because they don't thin kin the same terms as we in RM do.
>
> For them, it's an 'electronic chart', just like a paper chart...

Larry you raise an excellent point here. What exactly is meant when someone
says "medical records"? At one time it meant the patient's chart, but today
patient information is created, used and maintained all over the place.
Several months back my dad had a pacemaker installed. An amazing device that
not only makes sure that his ticker is ticking correctly but also saves yes
i said saves the data of when an action takes place. when he visits the
cardiologist the information is downloaded to a laptop/desktop computer
where the cardiologist can review the data and see what happened and when.
But in what format is the data saved and presented? is it proprietary, does
it link with other information? who knows

This whole issue of e-medical records is going to require an effort equal to
if not greater than either the development of the atom bomb or the man on
the moon missions.
--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va