From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:57:33 -0700
Peter writes:

"as an aside i'm reviewing a retention schedule that has been developed by a law firm for a small non-profit organization and it is what you would expect. A nice long laundry list of document types but with no tie back to how those documents are filed. oh! and they forgot to provide citations to the regulations."

If I had a nickel for every time outside counsel said "you need a retention schedule" and then when I produced the appropriate schedule all they said was "oh" I'd be retired. And some of my best friends are attorneys so I say this with a great deal of affection.

Recently I had the pleasure to write a retention schedule for a local sports team's charitable foundation. The charity's board approved it a few days ago along with other policies and decrees. I just heard this morning that all involved were impressed by the document including the resident lawyer. Apparently I will be asked to write the schedule for the team as well :)

Rock on!

Sharon

PS Looking like a Porsche drive on Sunday. Finally some sun here although not too warm.

Sharon Burnett, CRM

Seattle Washington USA

"If it ain't broke, take it apart and see why. If it is broke, take it apart
and see why."