From:
Tom Utiger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:00:37 -0700
<humor enabled="true" forgivePosterForAllSins="true">

We have all pondered various means to increase awareness about records management and teach the time honored principles of information management.

Julie Colgan and I have hit upon a untried path for bringing records management to the forefront of people's thinking and attract a whole new generation of diehard records management adherents. This new path is similar to the one used by the US Army to attract a new generation of enlistees.

The Records Management Videogame.

As a community we can no doubt build a riveting game that will win any number of top honors in the videogame industry. Before you poo-poo this grand idea, I would like to bring your attention to the power that videogames have in influencing the minds of the young. Our game would show a vast array of exciting features:

-       First person shooter game perspective (like Doom or Quake)

-       Career advancement from lowly file clerk to awe inspiring CRM

-       Gameplay including exciting RM activities like FILING, SEARCHING, DISPOSITION,  Find missing backup tapes, Copy control, and many other RM activities

-       Deadly enemies to defeat including enemy lawyers, burnt out employees, self involved C-level executives, clueless IT managers, etc

-       Cool weapons to defeat these villains: the basic shredder, the disposition hand grenade, the supercharged fileplan, the retention wrangler, the True Power of Organized Thinking, and many more

-       A wide variety of game levels including the Miles of Files Warehouse, the Electrifying Datacenter, the Lost Fileroom, and plenty of others

Think of the pure joy your friends, family, children, grandchildren and children of friends and enemies alike will feel when you gift them with this one of a kind treasure.  I am sure that with the favored treatment of getting them such a rare and highly sought after game, they will be will in your debt forever and willing to join with you on the Grand Quest of the Records Manager.

I am sure that if we each sent in 1 penny we could collect enough money in 20-30 years to make this a reality.

</humor>

PS Julie has a deeply held passion for DOS based video games.  Any of you who need to get rid of old DOS software/junk, I mean treasured family heirlooms, be sure to keep her in mind.

Tom Utiger

Former videogame developer who has seen the light of records management