From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:17:51 -0500
This probably isn't the strong opinion you're looking for, but I think where
there is debate over any shades of gray, the core of it is about both sides
being reasonable.  Bottom line, as employees we're at work to work and keep
that focus, period.  Do personal things pop into the day?  They do.  As
employees these should be reasonably minimized, but there will be
emergencies, but they should be real emergencies (shades of gray alert!)

The employer acts as custodian of the information and protector of the
corporation and has many, many considerations with regard to information
governance and in some cases production.  Hopefully where the employee has
personal information and it's not relevant to company performance, operation
or investigative circumstances company personnel with access make reasonable
attempts to protect personal information for whatever meaning that may take
in the circumstances at hand, as part of their controls.

I'm not sure either side can be satisfied, but if both are reasonable and
working toward protecting the other then that may be the middle ground.

> "I'd like to hear (online or offline) from anyone who thinks / believes
very  strongly that their employer has no business poking around their
work-provided ..."

 Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell