From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:29:48 -0400
Barbara, there are four factors that matter with shelf labels:

1. Composition:  you want to use labels that are durable, so look for
the term "permanent". These can be paper, metal foil, metalized plastic,
or plastic such as Mylar (PET).

2. Mounting:  choice of adhesive or riveted. Adhesive is easier and
cheaper, but riveted is tougher.

3. Printing:  while you can print labels on inkjet printers, I recommend
you use "laser" printing--and spot-check the labels (rub your finger
vigorously to see if the printing comes off).

4. Symbology (for bar-coded labels):  try to use a very common bar code
symbology, such as Code 39 (= "3 of 9"). Bar coding is worthwhile even
in a small storage facility.

Best regards.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
Deputy Commissioner and Chief Information Officer
The City of New York,
Department of Records
Email: [log in to unmask]
Land phone: 212.788.8615