From:
Michelle Lamm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2009 09:56:51 -0600
Good Monday morning, everyone!
My name is Michelle Lamm and I am a long-time listserv
subscriber/lurker. I have been in records management over 30 years now.
I recently left the position in Longmont that my esteemed colleague,
Sara Rusher now holds.  (By the way, Ms. Rusher may not have had a lot
formal records training in her past, but she has an affinity for RIM -
and she is fantastic at it!)
Now, back to myself - my most recent reincarnation is as records manager
for the Idaho Transportation Department.
There is a strong program base already, with a few straggler divisions.
I am working on one of our largest and most critical areas - the
Division of Motor Vehicle Services (DMV).
A little background: the State of Idaho DMV includes Driver Services,
Commercial Vehicle Services, and Vehicle Services - basically we license
all private and commercial drivers, and license and register all
commercial and private vehicles in the State of Idaho.
In looking at other States' retention schedules, very few cover a "DMV"
section. Most motor vehicle retention schedules are applicable to the
motor vehicles OWNED by the State - not to the licenses and
registrations issued to the public.
I have also scoured the listserv archives with very few results.
So - with that, I turn to the 2500+ current subscribers on this list for
guidance. I'd like to know how other states address these the retention
of these records and I would welcome any input/suggestions.
Thank you in advance! And I pledge not to just 'lurk' this go-around!
Michelle Lamm, CRM
Records Manager
Idaho Transportation Department
208.334.8013