From:
David Read <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 09:04:36 -0600
Please excuse the cross postings.

Hello all,

Over the course of the last nine months, the University Records Management Program at the University of Denver has been developing a beta version of  a web-based, open source records management administrative software tool. This is a NOT a records ingestion tool, it's a metadata management tool.

We are in the process of completing a NHPRC Strategies and Tools grant proposal in order to continue development on this tool and make it production ready and available to the open source community.

Please take a minute and  the project summary below. Base on the summary, we would like your feedback via email on whether  you think:

1.       This type of open source product is needed in our arena

2.       Whether this is something you would consider using at your institution

Project Summary

The purpose of this project is to develop a free, open-source software tool for the administration of records management programs that will improve the professional performance and effectiveness of records mangers and archivists in small to medium sized institutions that might otherwise not be able to afford administrative software.  The software will have two main components: a records inventory and surveying piece, and a retention schedule creation, management-and distribution piece.  The goal of the project is to create a tool that provides a feasible way for small and medium-sized institutions to capture detailed, structured, and reusable information about records and the systems they live in.  Ready access to this information is essential to the management of electronic records and the eventual preservation of all records, whether electronic or physical.

Technical requirements
What we have begun to build is a web application that runs on the Open Source LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) architecture

Once again we would like your feedback via email on whether  you think:

1.       This type of open source product is needed in our arena

2.       Whether this is something you would consider using at your institution

Note this is NOT at records ingestion tool

We are also looking for one more testing partner to be part of the grant. Testing at your facility would take place during the 1st quarter of 2011. Please contact us if you would like to learn more.

Thanks for your time.

David

David Read
University Records Manager