From:
"Mattson, Donald J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 14:56:56 -0500
The cloud,
I once read a flight training manual for the WWII P51 cadets. (I was really bored at the time) On the section for evasion and concealment it mentions the use of clouds. Though I can't quote exactly it said, While the clouds seem inviting, your opponent also sees the cloud as a haven, you may enter freely but you may not see the danger until it hits you head on, and while flying near the cloud you must be wary of a sudden attack. When I first started hearing IT raving on about the many possibilities and freedoms 2.0 offered, I had to ask, if we (the enterprise) suddenly decided to soar our data into the cloud would we have the valid and trusted safety we enjoy within our internal (comfort zone) when asked to go away are we sure it really does? So, can I be sure that when I seek the safety of the cloud, can I instead collide with a ghost of information past? Some day in the future this will be either a very safe means of reducing cost, or like the call of Beta Tape player, it will be replaced with something that is better marketed and affordable. Those of us that have experienced a cascade failure of a network know, clouds can darken and draw forth a firestorm.
Sorry Doug I said it better here than at the Houston ARMA conference. So until I can sit on the planning board and ensure the safety of the entity I am hired to protect, I have some serious reservations on the beast.